Raspberry Jam and Cream Swiss Roll
For the sponge
- 75g/3oz self raising flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- pinch of salt
- 75g/3oz golden caster sugar
- few drops of vanilla essence
For the filling
- 250ml cream, whipped
- Wexford Home Preserves Raspberry Jam
- Icing Sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Line a swiss roll tin (a baking tray with a lip) 33cm x 23cm/13″ x 9″ with greaseproof paper.
- Put the egg whites into a large bowl, add a pinch of salt. Beat until mixture is stiff and dry looking. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until thick and shiny. Finally beat in egg yolks until thick and trail of beaters remain. Sieve the flour and gradually add to the egg mixture folding it in with a metal spoon. Lastly fold in the vanilla.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake for 10 minutes. Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper dusted with a little caster sugar on the work surface. When the cake is baked, turn it onto the paper, remove the lining paper, and trim the edges with a sharp knife. Roll the cake up from its shortest edge with the paper inside and eave to cool.
- When cold, about 20 minutes, gently unroll and remove the greaseproof paper. Spread with your Wexford Home Preserves Raspberry Jam and then the whipped cream.
- Roll up again to form a swiss roll. Dust with icing sugar and serve.