Wexford Home Preserves Marmalade Cake Recipe
If you like marmalade, you will love this cake!
This recipe only takes 10 minutes to prep and 50 minutes to bake. Don’t forget to let it cool before you slice it – it’s hard, I know, but we have to have patience ☺
for the cake
- 3 tbsp Wexford Home Preserves Sicilian Pink Marmalade (or the marmalade variety of your choice)
- 120 g butter (allowed to soften)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 120 g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
for the glaze
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 50 g icing sugar
for the cake
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan)/ 320°F/gas mark 4. Grease a 15cm/6″ loaf tin, and line with baking parchment/silicone paper.
- Beat the butter with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture lightens in colour and becomes fluffy
- Beat in the eggs. Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder well in a separate bowl, and add to the butter, sugar and egg mixture. Fold in the flour. Add the marmalade and milk, and fold in as well.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and spread. Bake for about 50 – 55 mins until golden brown and firm to the touch. When a cocktail stick or skewer is poked into the cake it should come out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then run a round blade knife round the inside of the tin and turn out onto a wire rack.
For the sticky marmalade glaze
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the fresh orange juice and mix. Spoon the mix over the cooled cake, letting it run down the sides. Leave to set before cutting.
- Keep an eye on the cake whilst it is baking. Once it is golden brown, loosely cover with foil to stop it over browning, for the rest of the cooking time.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.